Wednesday, 21 May 2025

What an adventure. Or something.

I went to Emergency on the 28th of April after my symptoms had changed. The doctor contacted St Vincent's Hospital in Melbourne where I was referred earlier because he didn't like how my symptoms had changed and wasn't happy with what that might mean. I ended up being flown to Melbourne the next day and got woken up at 2am by the doctor telling me what my choices were, to realise there really was no choice. Was rushed, even the nurses weren't prepared, into surgery about 9:30 Wednesday and came out 5 hours later. It went well, and when I was conscious enough they explained what happened and why.

So, now, I have no back pain, just niggles, but until my body heals, I expected worse and was pleasantly surprised. Spent two days flat on my back, only allowed to sit up to 45° to eat, (I spilt a lot of food) then was fitted with a brace for my foot and was up the next day.

My foot is dicky because they had to move the nerve, but it's not painful, just can't use it like usual. Right after the surgery, it dropped, which meant that instead of being able to hold it at a 90 degree angle, it was pointing to the floor. This will take time to reset itself but is not permanent unless something goes really haywire.
Since then, I have been home for 2 weeks now and my foot has gotten stronger, I can now hold it at 90 degrees, just can't lift it up towards my leg when it points down. Physio will help with that, I hope, and I have my next appointment on the 5th of June.

I got home about 7 o'clock on the 6th of May, after being put in a taxi to the train station and I saw more people during that 30ish minute ride than I've seen in two years. I was helped at the train station by some lovely people from a group called "Traveller's Aid" to get onto the train, and Mum and my sister picked me up from the train station in Ararat.

Planes, trains, and automobiles, all things I love, I just wish the circumstances were better. On the plus side, hopefully now, I can move forward. It's so much nicer to not be in constant pain, and I feel like I am a happier, nicer person again now. Pain sucks, and I don't care what anyone says, it changes you, and until you can get some relief, there's not a damned thing you can do about it, and it sucks. it changes your whole life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, I've graduated from physio.

I didn't get tortured today, but, after a conversation with my physio, it's looking like this might be as good as it is gonna get fo...